University of Utah Clinical Nurse in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 03/24/2020
Requisition Number PRN23545B
Job Title PS Clinical Nurse
Working Title Clinical Nurse
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 01852 - HCI David Wetter Research Prog
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 22.88 to 33.00
Open Until Filled Yes
The Center for Health Outcomes and Population Equity ( HOPE ) at Huntsman Cancer Institute is accepting applications for a full-time Tobacco Treatment Specialist. The Center for HOPE’s mission is to create long-term solutions to prevent cancer and improve health among underserved populations, including people living in poverty and residents of rural and frontier areas.
The Tobacco Treatment Specialist ( TTS ) serves as tobacco cessation counselor at the Center for HOPE’s Tobacco Cessation Program at Huntsman Cancer Institute ( HCI ). The TTS provides education to HCI patients and their families who are current users of tobacco/nicotine and/or have a recent history of nicotine/tobacco use. Job responsibilities will include working collaboratively with patients, their family members and other care providers to develop tobacco cessation treatment plans, identifying patients’ strengths and challenges with regard to quitting, providing cessation treatment, and coordinating and monitoring services accordingly. To perform this job successfully, this individual must show a wide degree of creativity and latitude, and perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
• Provides direct tobacco cessation care that includes behavioral counseling for tobacco dependent patients seen at either inpatient or outpatient units at the Huntsman Cancer Hospital.
• Performs tobacco use history assessment.
• Use electronic health record Epic and other integrated systems to track patients’ progress.
• Provides brief pharmacotherapy education to referred patients who are enrolled in the Tobacco Cessation Program.
• Provides education about the Tobacco Cessation Program to HCI clinics and staff.
• Ensures defined service standards are met across program activities.
• Follows referred patients to document tobacco use status and use of resources, as well as provide additional support for cessation.
• Ensures compliance with data reporting requirements – collects and organizes Tobacco Cessation Program data and compiles progress reports required by the National Cancer Institute ( NCI ).
• Monitors effectiveness and level of effort, recommending programmatic changes accordingly.
• Works closely with Huntsman Cancer Hospital, clinics, and staff, assisting in continuous programming efforts to ensure goals are met.
• Obtains/maintains certified status and integrate new initiatives/techniques in Huntsman Tobacco Cessation Program.
• Communicates clearly, concisely verbally and written.
• Demonstrates leadership, collaboration, critical thinking and teamwork skills in managing work and resolving issues.
• Works with diverse individuals, with willingness to travel locally occasionally to conduct services at various Huntsman Cancer Hospital locations.
• Works with limited supervision, with superior organizational skills and management skills to effectively prioritize, organize and oversee completion of daily activities.
Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Utah or equivalency required. *If licensed in a compact state a Utah State license must be obtained within 90 days of hire.
Basic Life Support Health Care Provider card or must obtain one within one month of hire required.
Strong organizational and leadership skills as well as demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills are also required.
Some positions may require additional certifications such as Advanced Cardiac Life Support ( ACLS ), Pediatric Advanced Life Support ( PALS ), or Neonatal Resuscitation Program ( NRP ) within one year of hire.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Care is appropriate to the population served.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Bachelor’s degree in a health or behavioral health science (e.g., social work, psychology, nursing). Demonstrated experience in establishing relationships, coordinating efforts and collaborating in a fast paced work environment. Excellent communications skills and competency in communications technologies. Firm understanding of principles of cultural competency and public health principles and practices. Ability to speak and write well under pressure. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with multiple, diverse constituencies. The majority of the patient care will be provided in the Huntsman Cancer Institute and Huntsman Cancer Hospital however this job may require working in the satellite locations such as South Jordan, Daybreak and Farmington if needed.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.