University of Utah PS Clinical Nurse Specialist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/16/2019
Requisition Number PRN20723B
Job Title PS Clinical Nurse Specialist
Working Title PS Clinical Nurse Specialist
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Professional
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 01167 - HCI Clinical Trials Operations
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 47600 to 80000
Open Until Filled Yes
Promotes excellence in patient care by advancing the quality and scope of nursing practice through clinical practice, education, consultation, research and administrative roles in the area of clinical expertise.
As a patient-focused organization, the University of Utah Health Sciences exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. The Health Sciences Center seeks faculty and staff who are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission.
1. Provides care to patients with complex problems and discharge needs in area of specialization, exhibiting creativity and innovation in nursing intervention.
2. Works intra- and interdepartmentally to develop and evaluate standards, policies and procedures for provision of a safe and therapeutic patient environment.
3. Provides and/or coordinates patient/family education and discharge planning. Develops and evaluates education programs and materials to facilitate patient education and discharge planning.
4. Provides clinical education to nursing staff, students, faculty and hospital personnel. Develops and conducts continuing education programs utilizing internal and external resources based on an evaluation of continuing education needs.
5. Serves as a content expert in developing and providing education for specialty area.
6. Functions as preceptor for both graduate and undergraduate students. Serves as a resource to the faculty in the area of expertise; provides lectures to students and may have a faculty appointment.
7. Functions as consultant to staff in complex patient care situations. Collaborates on the development of guidelines for documentation and care planning based on current clinical and research information.
8. Collaborates with Nurse Manager in orientation of new employees and provides feedback related to specific education needs.
9. Provides input in staff performance appraisal.
10. Functions as a change strategist, implementor and/or recipient by participating in continuous quality initiatives, internal and external committees designed to promote individual, groups and organizational performance.
11. Promotes the utilization of research findings in clinical practice. Facilitates and/or conducts research independently and/or collaboratively.
12. Evaluates care provided to individual patients and/or groups of patients based on specialty area.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency that may be required:
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Often: Infectious disease, oils ( there is air or skin exposure to oils or other cutting fluids ), hazards ( includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, or exposure to chemicals ).
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Hearing, listening, talking, walking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), standing.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Master’s Degree in a nurse specialty from an accredited program; current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse or as an Advance Practice Registered Nurse (A.P.R.N.) in the State of Utah; basic life support health care provider card or obtain one within one month of hire; and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills required.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.